Highest in-game honor awarded to 18 toys; All TOTY proceeds benefit TTF’s mission to bring play to kids in need
DALLAS, September 20, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — After two years of virtual celebrations, hundreds of members of the toy community have gathered in Dallas, TX tonight for the highly anticipated Toy of the Year (TOTY) Awards & Celebration, where the best toys and games of the year were nominated. Organized by The Toy Foundation (TTF), the awards program recognizes the creativity and collective philanthropy of the industry, with over $500,000 raised to support TTF’s mission to bring the benefits of play to children in need.
In addition to naming the winners, the 23rd edition of the TOTY Awards showcased industry support for TTF’s programs: delivering toys to children around the world, funding play therapy at children’s hospitals, and showcasing the industry to diverse young talent. TTF’s local partners participated in the celebration, including three children’s nonprofits — Dallas Metro, Rainbow Days and The Birthday Party Project — which received toy donations; Baylor, Scott and White McLane Children’s Hospital, which was named one of the new TTF play grant recipients; and the next generation of leaders University of North Texas in Dallas, who congratulated and networked with the winners.
The prestigious awards highlighted finalists in 17 play categories, including collectibles, adults, plush, specialties and the newly created category to ride. Eighteen winners were announced, including a tie for Specialty Toy of the Year. Toy of the Year and People’s Choice award winners will be announced on November 21, 2022bringing an element of excitement to consumers at the height of the holiday season.
The following TOTY winners were announced tonight, providing consumers with gift ideas as they begin their holiday shopping:
- Action Figure of the Year: Jurassic World Dominion Super Colossal Giganotosaurus (Mattel)
- Collector’s item of the year: LEGO Minifigures The Muppets (LEGO Systems)
- Construction Toy of the Year: LEGO MARVEL I am Groot (LEGO Systems)
- Creative Toy of the Year: Magic Mixies Magic Crystal Ball (Moose Toys)
- Doll of the Year: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Fresh Fierce Collection by The Fresh Dolls (World of EPI Company)
- Game of the Year: Pokémon Trading Card Game: Pokémon GO Elite Trainer Box (The Pokémon Company International)
- Adult Toy of the Year: LEGO Ideas The Office (LEGO Systems)
- Baby/Toddler Toy of the Year: CoComelon Ultimate Learning Adventure Bus (Just Play)
- License of the year: Squishmallows (Jazwares)
- Outdoor Toy of the Year: Twister SPLASH (WowWee)
- Playset of the Year: LEGO Super Mario Adventures Starter Course with Peach (LEGO Systems)
- Plush Toy of the Year: Squishmallows 16″ (Jazwares)
- Preschool Toy of the Year: Crayola Color & Erase Reusable Mat (Crayola)
- Ride-on toy of the year: Mario Kart 24V Ride-On Racer (JAKKS Pacific)
- Specialty Toy of the Year: Ann Williams Craft-Tastic Nature Scavenger Hunt Potions (PlayMonster Group) and Snap Circuits: Green Energy (ELENCO)
- STEAM Toy of the Year: Bill Nye’s VR Science Kit (Abacus brands)
- Vehicle of the Year: LEGO Technic McLaren Formula 1 Race Car (LEGO Systems)
“We’re thrilled to have the industry in person to celebrate the TOTY winners, all of whom are extraordinary examples of creativity and imagination bringing the benefits of play to children and adults alike,” said Pamela Mastrota, executive director of The Toy Foundation. “We congratulate each of the category winners and all of the innovative nominees for receiving this incredible honor and thank the industry for continuing to choose this awards ceremony to support Foundation programming and raise funds to benefit the children in need.
The TOTY Awards received 550 submissions over the summer. Of these, a panel of expert judges – made up of toy and game experts, retailers, academics and journalists – reviewed and ranked the products before selecting 122 finalists. Category winners were determined by votes from Toy Association members, toy retailers (mass and specialty), media and consumers. The Toy of the Year winner will be determined by a panel of experts and the People’s Choice winner will be chosen by online consumer votes (open until November 11th on ToyAwards.org); both will be announced on 21 November2022. All results are checked for accuracy, including the judging and voting process.
The TOTY Awards, now held annually in the fall, recognize industry support for TTF’s programs. With the help of industry this year, more than $4 million assistance was provided to Ukrainian children and families; play therapy activities were made available to 175,000 pediatric patients; and diverse young talents were introduced to toy careers.
For more information on the TOTY Awards voting and selection process, visit ToyAwards.org.
The next TOTY Awards will take place September 29, 2023kicking off Toy Fair Week (which takes place September 30 to October 3) At New York.
About the Toy Foundation www.toyfoundation.org The Toy Foundation (TTF) is a 501(c)3 children’s charity whose mission is to provide philanthropic support and the life-saving proceeds of play to children and families in need, across the country and the world. TTF donations represent the charities of TTF and the toy industry. Last year, TTF provided $360,000 in cash grants to nearly 4 million children severely affected by the pandemic. Since its inception in 2003, TTF’s flagship toy bank has provided $225 million in toys to more than 26 million underserved children struggling with serious illness, enduring temporary placements in foster homes, living with domestic violence and/or facing natural disasters. . TTF is also expanding its mission to provide grants to children’s hospitals to encourage healing through play and foster a diverse and inclusive culture and talent pool for the toy industry.
SOURCE The Toy Foundation