The engines fire up and rev as Mattel gears up for another real life scavenger hunt.
The Hot Wheels Legends Tour will hit the road for a fifth edition this year – an epic, worldwide hunt for an actual car that was “built, not bought” that will ultimately be inducted into the Hot Wheels Garage of Legends and become a Hot Wheels Vehicle. 1:64 scale die-cast for kids and collectors to collect for play and display.
What started in North America is now a global endeavor in which the winning vehicle will make its way into the main Hot Wheels line (the $1 cars) to be sold in over 150 countries.
“After four years and dozens of events, it’s amazing how the Hot Wheels Legends Tour has grown, both in the United States and abroad,” said Mattel vice president, Global Head of Vehicle Design, Ted Wu, “Pivoting largely to virtual events over the past couple of years, we’ve seen the competition coalesce into a whole new community of global garage builders and Hot Fans alike. Wheels. We’re excited to continue that growth in 2022 as we return to our live event roots. This year’s competition is guaranteed to be the best yet, and we can’t wait to see what epic builds emerge. during the Tour.
Mattel first launched the Hot Wheels Legends Tour in 2018 to coincide with the brand’s 50th anniversary. This year, Mobil1, Dickies and Walmart are back as event sponsors.
“As in previous years, the Hot Wheels Legends Tour consists of regional winners and Mobil 1 fan favorites from each stage who advance to the Semi-Finals and, for the most impressive builds, the Global Grand Finals,” the company said. in a report. “However, this year, Hot Wheels is breaking tradition by offering a regional winner the additional opportunity to have their custom garage creation reimagined into a limited-edition die-cast vehicle.”
2022 Hot Wheels Legends Tour Event Dates
- April 14: Virtual live stream from New Zealand
- April 21: Virtual live stream from Australia
- April 30: In-person event at Walmart in Miami, Florida
- May 14: In-person event at Walmart in Houston, Texas
- June 4: In-person event at Walmart in Atlanta, Georgia
- June 18: In-person event at Walmart in Northwest Arkansas
- July 9: Walmart In-Person Event in Detroit, Michigan
- July 16: In-person event at Walmart in Windsor, Canada
- July 30: In-person event at Hot Wheels headquarters in El Segundo, CA
- September 10: In-person event at Walmart in Indianapolis, Indiana
- September 24: In-person event at Walmart in Dallas, Texas
- October 8: In-person event at Walmart in Los Angeles, CA
- Date TBD: Virtual Live Stream
- Date TBD: Global Semi-Final (Live stream only)
- Nov: World Grand Final (live stream only)
To date, four Hot Wheels Legends Tour winners have become die-cast toys. 2Jetz (2018), the Nash Metropolitan (2019) and a 1970 Pontiac Trans Am (2020) have already made their way to the pegs, while the 1969 Volvo P1800 “Ain’t No Saint” (2021, top photo) should be in stores within a year.
Registration for this year’s tour is now open.